Shelby Broadband Partners with Google to offer "Google Apps"
We are pleased to announce that we have formed a strategic partnership with Google to host our email and portal services. This is a very exciting change, as it will enable us to provide you with latest email technology through Google’s dynamic suite of communication applications.
The Google Migration is COMPLETED. We hope you share our enthusiasm regarding this upgrade. Please note that your email addresses will not change and we have worked very hard to make this change as seamless as possible. In addition, this change will not impact any aspect of your Internet connection.
In the meantime, here’s a partial list of key features and benefits of our Google partnership:
- Over 7 Gigabytes of email storage
That is over a 20 fold increase over the current limit. Every mail account
will have a very convenient anti-spam feature. Mail classified as spam is
moved into a folder with that name. Spam not caught can be moved into
that folder at the click of a button and is instantly reported to the spam-
analysis servers to help adjust your anti-spam profile. Similarly, legitimate
email incorrectly classified as spam can be moved from the spam folder
to the inbox at the click of a button. The same analysis procedure takes
place to adjust your profile and you also have the option of white listing the
sender. All of this is done without having to check any other website or
- As a result, you will be able to leave mail on the server for a very long time
- Powered by Google and offering a mix of news, sports, entertainment,
weather and many other customizable features not previously available
- Schedule meetings, share calendars and communicate more effectively
- Create online documents and collaborate with others in real-time across
- You will be able to access their information anywhere, anytime – including
email access via mobile devices such as a Blackberry or cell phone. You
will still be able to access your mail via traditional email programs as well
as taking advantage of the web-based mail interface.
- Google has an incredibly reliable, fast and robust email service, complete
with anti-spam and anti-virus protection
New user agreementThe Shelby Broadband user agreement has been amended to include Google Terms of Service. The Google Terms of Service can be viewed by simply clicking on the address or type this address into a browser http://www.google.com/a/help/intl/en/users/terms.html. The use of your Shelby Broadband email address and the associated services means that you accept these terms and conditions.
While these changes may be an inconvenience, there are many advantages to Google Apps. This includes over 7 Gigabytes of web mail storage. This means that your email can remain on the mail server indefinitely. In addition, we will now be able to offer you a more reliable mail service and you will be able to access your mail via your mobile phone or other mobile devices.
Please remember that no other aspect of your service will be impacted by this change and your email will not change. If you have any questions or concerns about these changes or about Shelby Broadband's move to Google Apps, please feel free to contact us at 502-722-9292.
New Email Settings/Migration
The legacy Shelby Broadband mail servers will be decommissioned on 11/30/2010. If you have not started accessing your Shelby Broadband email address via Google Apps, please do so immediately to avoid any
downtime. In order to access your mail via Google, you need to be aware of the following changes:
- Email accounts with passwords less than eight characters were migrated. However, we have appended the word password to the end of your password. For example if your password was “john”, the password was changed to “johnpassword”. This is the password that you will need to enter in order to access your mail via Google.
- Contact and Calendar List entries on the old mail server will not be migrated over to the new server. You will have until November 30, 2010 to back up this data and move it to the Google Apps services.
Configuration Information for Email ClientsWith the extra storage space, it is no longer necessary for you to access all of your mail using an Email client (Outlook, Outlook Express, Apple Mail, Entourage, Thunderbird, etc). While this option is still available to you, you will need to change your email client settings in order to for your client to work with Google. Instructions for POP Access can be found here, or IMAP can be found here.
We hope you enjoy your new Google Apps email account! If you have any questions or concerns regarding this change, please let us know.